Chinese style chicken ingredients
1⁄2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and
cut into matchsticks
1 teaspoon salt
4 boneless chicken breasts
4 tablespoons soy sauce
pinch of five-spice powder
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons dry sherry
How to make Chinese style chicken
• Put the cucumber matchsticks in a colander, sprinkle with the salt and
cover with a plate with a weight on top. Set the colander in a bowl or
on a deep plate to catch the drips, and leave to drain for 30 minutes.
• Put the chicken portions in a large pan and just cover with water. Add
1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, the five-spice powder and the lemon
juice, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
• Lift out the poached chicken with a slotted spoon, and leave until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard the skin. Bash the chicken lightly with a rolling pin to loosen the fibres. Slice into thin strips. Reserve.
• Heat the oils in a large frying pan or wok. Add the sesame seeds, fry for 30 seconds, then stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons of soy sauce and the sherry. Add the carrots, and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until just tender. Remove from the heat and reserve.
• Rinse the cucumber well, pat dry with kitchen paper and put in a bowl. Add the spring onions, beansprouts, cooked carrots, pan juices and shredded chicken, and mix together. Transfer to a shallow dish. Cover and chill for about 1 hour, turning the mixture once or twice.
• To make the sauce, cream the peanut butter with the lemon juice, sesame oil and chilli powder, adding a little hot water to form a paste, then stir in the spring onion.
• Arrange the chicken mixture on a serving dish, and serve with the
Fragrant saffron chicken Ingredients
2 chickens, about 1.6kg/3 1⁄2lb each
1 carrot, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
6 black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
225g/8oz onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon saffron threads
4 dried apricots
grated zest of 1 lemon
300ml/10fl oz dry white wine
3 tablespoons clear honey
1 teaspoon mild curry paste
300ml/10fl oz mayonnaise
300ml/10fl oz double cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make Fragrant saffron chicken
• Put the chickens in two separate large saucepans. Cover with cold water and add the carrot, celery, peppercorns and 1⁄2 bay leaf to each. Bring slowly to the boil, cover and simmer very gently for about 1 hour. Pierce the thigh joints with a skewer to test if cooked – the juices should run clear. Leave the chickens to cool in their poaching liquid.
• Drain the chickens. Remove and discard the skin, strip off the meat and discard the bones. Cut the meat into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
• Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, and sauté the onion until soft.
Grind the saffron strands to a powder using a mortar and pestle. Stir
into the onions with the apricots, lemon zest, white wine, honey, curry
paste and 1 bay leaf. Bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, for about
10 minutes until well reduced and the consistency of chutney.
• Cool and purée in a blender or food processor, then sieve.
• Fold the cold saffron mixture into the mayonnaise. Whip the cream until it just holds its shape. Fold into the mayonnaise mixture, and season with salt and pepper.
• Mix together the chicken pieces and the mayonnaise mixture, and serve on a bed of rice.
Cajun chicken jambalaya ingredients
1.4kg/2 1⁄2lb fresh chicken
1 1⁄2 onions
1 bay leaf
4 black peppercorns
1 sprig of fresh flat-leaf parsley,
plus extra, chopped, to garnish
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
225g/8oz long-grain rice
100g/4oz chorizo sausage, chopped
How to make Cajun chicken jambalaya
• Put the chicken in a large flameproof casserole dish, and pour over
600ml/1pt water. Add the onion half, bay leaf, peppercorns and
parsley sprig, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer
gently for about 1 1⁄2 hours.
• When the chicken is cooked, lift it out of the stock, remove the skin and carcass, and chop the meat. Strain the stock, leave to cool and reserve.
• Chop the remaining onion and heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add
the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery. Fry for about 5 minutes, then stir in the rice, coating the grains with the oil. Add the sausage, ham and chopped chicken. Fry for a further 2–3 minutes, stirring frequently.
• Pour in the tomatoes and 300ml/10fl oz of the reserved stock, and add the chilli, cumin and thyme. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
• Stir in the prawns and Tabasco. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then
season well with salt and pepper, and serve hot, garnished with the
extra chopped parsley.
Warm chicken and feta salad ingredients
4 skinless chicken breast fillets
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 onion, cut into wedges
175g/6oz French beans
assorted salad leaves
200g/7oz feta cheese, cubed
175g/6oz cherry tomatoes, halved
50g/2oz black olives
1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
How to make Warm chicken and feta salad
• Put the chicken breasts in a shallow dish. Crush 1 of the garlic cloves
and blend with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and all of the lemon juice.
Pour over the chicken, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, turning at least once.
• Heat a frying pan until smoking hot. Drain the chicken and cook for
6–8 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for
• Heat the remaining oil in a heavy frying pan. Sauté the remaining garlic with the onion wedges. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8–10 minutes.
• Cook the French beans in a pan of lightly salted water for 5 minutes.
Drain and reserve.
• Arrange the salad leaves in a serving bowl with the feta cheese, cherry
tomatoes, beans, black olives and red pepper. Put the onion mixture on
top of the salad leaves, then add the chicken and serve drizzled with a
little olive oil.
Chargrilled pork fillet with apple sauce ingredients
450g/1lb pork fillet, trimmed
150ml/5fl oz cider
1 tablespoon light muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary sprigs,
2 tablespoons olive oil
finely grated zest and juice of
2 tablespoons golden sultanas
1 teaspoon chopped fresh
2 dessert apples
salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make Chargrilled pork fillet with apple sauce
• Trim the pork fillets of any fat, and cut into 1cm/1⁄2 in thick rounds before placing in a bowl. Mix together half of the the cider with the sugar, mustard, garlic, rosemary sprigs, oil, half of the lemon zest and
1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Pour over the pork, and rub all over the meat. Cover and chill until needed.
• To make the sauce, put the remaining lemon zest in a small mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the remaining cider, the sultanas and thyme leaves. Peel, core and finely dice the apples, one at a time,
mixing them in as you go. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
• Preheat the grill until hot. Remove the meat from its marinade, and
season with salt and pepper. Cook the meat under the grill for 3 minutes per side, removing as soon as it is just cooked through, so that it retains its tenderness. Serve with the apple sauce.
Hot and sour soup ingredients
8 dried shiitake mushrooms
3 tablespoons dry sherry
100g/4oz pork loin
1.2 litres/2pt chicken stock
50g/2oz bamboo shoots, sliced
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 egg, lightly beaten
225g/8oz tofu, diced
salt and freshly ground
How to make hot and sour soup
• In a medium bowl, soak the mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes,
then drain, squeeze out any excess moisture and cut into 1cm/ 1⁄2 in slices.
• In a small dish, stir the corn flour into the sherry and set aside.
• Put the pork loin in a large heavy pan and completely cover with water.
Simmer until tender, then cool and shred.
• Bring the stock to the boil. Stir in the pork, mushrooms and bamboo shoots.
Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the soy sauce and red wine vinegar.
Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the reserved corn flour mixture.
Keep stirring until the soup has thickened.
• Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg. Mix in the tofu and heat
through. Serve the soup hot.
Celery and Stilton soup ingredients
4 celery sticks, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
45g/1 1⁄2oz plain flour
1⁄2 glass white wine
900ml/1 1⁄2pt chicken stock
300ml/10fl oz milk
225g/8oz crumbled Stilton
salt and freshly ground
How to make Celery and Stilton soup
• In a heavy saucepan over a low
heat, gently sweat the celery and
onion in butter until soft. Add the
flour and remove from the heat.
• Pour in the wine and stock, stirring
continuously. Return to the heat and
slowly bring to the boil, stirring
until the mixture thickens. Simmer
for 25 minutes.
• Add the milk, simmer for a further
2 minutes and remove from the
heat. Whisk in the Stilton.
• Purée the soup in a blender or
food processor, then push through
a sieve into a clean pan. Season
with salt and pepper.
• Reheat gently and serve.