Crispy shredded beef Ingredients
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons plain flour
350g/12oz beef rump steak, cut
into thin strips
vegetable oil for deep-frying
2 carrots, finely shredded
2 spring onions, thinly shredded
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
3 small fresh red chillies, seeded
and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 tablespoons beef stock
1 teaspoon cornflour
How to make Crispy shredded beef
• Beat the eggs in a bowl with the salt and flour, adding a little water if
necessary to make a batter.
• Add the beef to the batter, and mix well until coated.
• Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the oil and heat until smoking.
Add the beef and deep-fry for 5 minutes, stirring to separate the strips.
Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on kitchen paper.
• Add the carrots to the wok, and deep-fry to about 1–1 1⁄2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
• Pour off the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the wok. Add the spring onions, garlic, chillies and deep-fried carrots, and stir-fry for
1 minute. Add the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and stock to the wok, and
bring to the boil. Stir in the cornflour, and simmer for a few minutes to
thicken the sauce.
• Return the beef to the wok, and stir until well coated with the sauce.