Chicken in spicy yogurt ingredients
3 dried red chillies
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoons ground turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1⁄2 large onion, chopped
2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon salt
125ml/4fl oz low-fat Greek-style
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 chicken pieces, about 2kg/4 1/2 lb in total
How to make Chicken in spicy yogurt
• Grind together the chillies, coriander seeds, turmeric, garam masala,
garlic, onion, ginger, lime juice and salt using a mortar and pestle.
• Gently heat a frying pan and add the spice mixture. Stir for 2 minutes,
then turn into a shallow dish. Add the yogurt and oil to the spice paste,
and mix well to combine.
• Remove the skin from the chicken pieces, and make three slashes in the flesh of each piece. Add the chicken to the dish containing the yogurt and spice mixture, and coat the pieces completely in the marinade. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 4 hours. Remove the dish from the refrigerator, take off the cling film and leave, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
• Heat a barbecue or grill until very hot. Wrap the chicken pieces in foil, sealing well so that the juices cannot escape. Cook the chicken pieces over the barbecue or under the grill for about 15 minutes, turning once.
• Remove the foil and brown the chicken for 5 minutes. Serve hot.